Thursday, January 7, 2010

A New Place to Call Home:


After much searching, both geographically and in our hearts, I am excited to share that we have found our new home. A place for our family to grow, learn, thrive. My dream is to make this house a home. Where happiness dwells and laughter lingers. Where roots grow deeply & love flows freely.

My husband and I jokingly call this our "Paparazzi" shot because, although she is waving, it looks as though she's trying to block her face from the prying eye of the camera! We just love that we finally have lots of open space for the children to play outside.


Coming from a busy suburb, we can't get over how oddly deafening the quiet stillness of the forest is that surrounds us.


I love this photo. I'll tell you why: At nearly every house we looked at over the last 8 months, there were deer to be seen. Well, the first time we came up to see this future home of ours, I didn't see a single one. I love the sight of deer scampering by, so I was disappointed that we seemed to be in a deer-free zone. I even asked my husband, "Did you see any deer tracks outside the house? I didn't see any. Maybe I missed them? Did you see any??"

My husband and I fell in love with the land and the house, but felt torn as to what we should do. You see, we currently had an offer on another house that we loved and wanted, but it was taking ages to move along (those dreaded short sales!). Prior to that, we had our hearts set on two other houses that we felt sure were "it." However those eventually fell through -- one for a failed inspection and the other one we got outbid in the third round. Heartbreaking as it was at the time, I can see now that those events were just leading us to this place.

Anyway, just before we left the deerless house, I was sitting in the car nursing my son. I said out loud, "Lord, please send me a sign. Show us down the right path." Almost instantly (seriously, it was like 0.3 seconds later), the deer appeared. Several of them. Leaping over rocks and ducking in and out of the trees. It was like that scene in the movie "Funny Farm" when Chevy Chase's character says, "Cue the deer," and they release a beautiful fawn from a cage. The fawn proceeds to scamper right in front of the prospective buyers' eyes. {Does anyone know the scene I'm talking about??} Anyway, I happily took that as my "sign." And the fact that passing inspections, loan stuff, and signing the closing papers literally at the eleventh hour have all come quickly on the heels of that powerful deer sighting, I am taking them all as signs that we are where we are supposed to be. And that brings us such a feeling of peace. I can't think of a better way to start a new year than being filled with a sense of peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment