Sunday, August 2, 2009

Nature Bracelets

We were driving around house-hunting (yet again) today, and I thought of a little craft to keep the little ones busy while we stopped at each house to scout out the property. Although, calling it a "craft" is a stretch, as it is far too simple to really qualify as such.

When I was young, my sister and I and our neighborhood friends would make these nature bracelets. They are basically masking tape loops around the wrist, onto which you stick bits of nature: flowers, grass, buds, tiny stones, sticks, and moss. Really, anything (well, as long as it's not too heavy) goes! I even recall sticking expired bugs and butterflies to mine when I was about 6 or 7 years old (after I had sadly left them too long in the glass jar home I made for them).

So, once we reached the first property today, I wrapped a loop of masking tape around Roo's wrist. Then, for durability, I wrapped a second loop directly on top of the first. I sent her off to gather and stick whatever she could find. The hills were blooming with wildflowers, so we were not lacking for materials.

I think I may have gotten a little over-involved in the project, picking out the prettiest flowers when Roo seemed to be gravitating more toward sticks and stones. In hindsight, I should have let her put whatever she chose on her bracelet, instead of focusing on making it look good (to me). I guess I couldn't help myself -- I got caught up in reliving childhood memories or something. We will definitely make more of these bracelets this week in our own backyard, and I promise to restrain myself from taking over: just set her free and let it be completely her own creation.

For once it wasn't raining on our house-hunting expedition (we had been 7 for 7 when it came to rain/sleet/hail while on our little day trips scouting out future houses).

I can never see enough barns -- how I would love to own a horse again someday!


A Man on a Mission:
Even Rascal got in on the "jewelry"-making: collecting sticks and pinecones and bringing them to us.

Now all she needs is the dress and she's ready for the prom! Just kidding. Thankfully, we have quite a few years before we have to worry about that!

No comments:

Post a Comment