Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Post-St. Patrick's Day Post

I had some grandiose, memory-making ideas for St. Patrick's Day this year. Unfortunately, none of them came to fruition. Apparently, the luck of the Irish was not ours yesterday. Instead, we had a day that redefined my previous understanding of chaos. So, in lieu of a jam-packed day of leprechauns and pots of gold, I present to you the Shamrock Pretzel. One day late. Courtesy of one of my favorite magazines, Family Fun.



Despite appearances to the contrary, they are cooked. It certainly doesn't qualify as a culinary masterpiece, as we are strictly talking refrigerated breadsticks, cinnamon, and colored sugar. But, Roo enjoyed sprinkling the cinnamon and sugar, and doing her fair share of sampling after they came out of the oven. So, if she's happy, then so am I.

We also made a few pretzels in the traditional shape because pretzels actually have a historical significance relating to Lent. The Parenting Passageway linked to an interesting article regarding the pretzel and Lent. An excerpt:

"According to pretzel maker Snyder’s of Hanover, a young monk in the early 600s in Italy was preparing a special Lenten bread of water, flour and salt. To remind his brother monks that Lent was a time of prayer, he rolled the bread dough in strips and then shaped each strip in the form of crossed arms, mimicking the then popular prayer position of folding one’s arms over each other on the chest. "


So, our "crossed arms" version of the St. Patty's pretzel:

Maybe next year I can incorporate the many St. Patrick's ideas rattling around in my head. But, for this year, I will concentrate my energy on Easter, as it is fast approaching! In an upcoming post, I will be writing about some non conventional Easter basket items, sure to thrill your little ones and guaranteed not to rot their pearly whites!

No comments:

Post a Comment