Thursday, May 14, 2009

Homemade Samoa Cookies

As a little extra something special, I included a plate loaded with these delightful cookies and gave one plate each to my Mom and my sister with their Mother's Day presents. I came across these through By Sun and Candlelight. They are basically Girl Scout Samoas, in bar form. The recipe came from here.




I probably don't even need to point this out, as it is quite evident from my picture, but they didn't turn out as pretty as they were supposed to. I definitely had some issues.


My first issue was cutting them into squares. Even though I waited until they had cooled, I still noticed the coconut-caramel topping was peeling off the shortbread base as I cut. When I switched to using a pizza cutter instead of a knife, it was better (I think the up/down motion of cutting with a knife was dislodging my topping). Then, I had additional problems when it came to dipping each square into the melted chocolate to cover the bottom. There is supposed to be a nice thick coating on the bottom of each piece. However, each time I dipped one, the shortbread would stick to the chocolate and separate from the coconut-caramel topping when I lifted it up. I was left with a shortbread square stranded in a bowl of melted chocolate, and the golden brown topping in my hand. Frustrating doesn't even begin to describe it. I ended up spreading the chocolate on the bottom of each one with a knife and leaving them upside-down to set. Then, I turned them over and drizzled the remaining chocolate on the top. It was a lot of work.


You might be wondering if it was worth it. And, begrudgingly, I'll admit that they were worth it because they were quite tasty. And when the combination of flavors turns out this good, I'll put up with a little extra work. So, yeah, I'd make them again, but I would allow for more time to do so, and expect less-than-perfect results. On second thought, I think I will just buy extra boxes of Samoas next time the Girl Scouts make their rounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment