Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Cinnamon Crumb Coffee Cake

I had a couple of requests for the cinnamon crumb coffee cake that I made a couple of days back, so here it goes.

Now, this recipe is courtesy of Lucy's Specific Carbohydrate Diet Cookbook, so I can't take any credit for it. Although I do alter it a bit. It is made for people on a special diet due to Crohn's disease, Ulcerative colitis, and other digestive diseases. Frankly, I know that my tastebuds are "tainted," to a degree. When you must follow a strict diet for medical reasons, you develop a taste for non-traditional baked goods because they are your only option. However, I've served it to several guests who weren't following such a diet and they liked it. So, it must taste pretty much like a traditional coffee cake to those with "normal" palates.


Now that I've laced this post with all sorts of disclaimers, I bet you're totally ready to just dive in and make this non-traditional/could-possibly-pass-for-traditional coffee cake! Really, though, it's pretty tasty.


Cinnamon Crumb Coffee Cake

Cake:
3 Tbsp butter, melted
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup homemade yogurt (you can absolutely substitute plain yogurt here)
2 eggs, beaten
2 1/2 cups almond flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup pecans or walnuts, chopped
1/2 cup raisins (Personal preference here, I leave them out because I can't stand raisins in my food)

Topping: (I triple the amounts for cinnamon, honey, and butter shown here -- I'll explain why later. Leave the almond amount the same)

1 Tbsp cinnamon
2 Tbsp honey
1 Tbsp butter, melted
1/4 cup sliced almonds

For the cake, mix together butter, honey, yogurt, and eggs. Stir in almond flour, baking soda, salt, and chopped nuts (and raisins, if using).

In a small bowl, mix together cinnamon, honey, and butter. The original recipe calls for this topping to go only on the top of the coffeecake. However, I like to add some to the middle of the cake and double the amount I put on the top of the cake.

So, if you tripled the topping amount, add about 1/3 of it to the middle of the cake by pouring half the batter into the buttered pan, adding some of the topping mixture to make a middle "layer", then add the other half of the cake batter over the topping. Then add the remaining topping (you should have about 2/3 of it left) over the top of the entire cake. Sprinkle with almonds. Bake @ 310 degrees for 30 minutes.

If you didn't choose to triple the topping amount (you're crazy and you'll be sorry later -- just kidding!), then just pour all the batter at once into the buttered pan. Pour the (scant!) topping over the batter and finish off with the almonds. Bake at 310 for 25-30 minutes.

Sometimes I eat this warmed up, as-is. Other times I add a dollup of homemade jam: that is strawberry rhubarb pictured up top. Yum!

*Note: goods baked with almond flour can overcook quite easily and become very dry. Do not overbake!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds delish! Looking forward to the four cheese lasanga recipe as well!
    I haven't been "cooking" as much latley since it's been so hot, it's more grilling and stuff that we don't have heat the oven for. I'll have to tuck this one away for a chilly fall day.
    J

    ReplyDelete
  2. For an almond flour cake, it's pretty good. I still crave the old-fashioned kind, but I'm getting used to this way.

    Well, wouldn't you know...the lasagna recipe will be making its debut later tonight. I was thinking about how it will taste vegetarian-style, and I hope it works. You are a great cook, so I'm sure you'll think of something!

    ReplyDelete